Many people would say “2016 has been the worst year ever!” but instead of focusing on the negative things that happened in 2016, let’s focus on the positive! Here is a list of positive things that happened in 2016:
- Tiger numbers are rising
The tiger population was 3,200 in 2010 but has increased by 22%. The number of tigers living around the world is 3,890 and growing.
- Veteran homelessness has dropped 50%
The numbers of U.S veterans being homeless have been cut in half since 2010
- 50 year war ends with peace treaty signed in Columbia
After 4 years of negotiations, Columbia signed a peace deal with the government which ended a 50 year long war.
- India plants 50 million trees in one day
800,000 volunteers planted trees in India. The volunteers planted over 80 different species of trees.
- World’s largest marine reserve was established in Antarctica
European countries and 24 other different countries stepped in to help build this reserve on Antarctica's Ross Sea
- Graduation rates increase
The graduation rates for all races increased 83.2%
- Did we mention that tiger numbers are rising?
- America finally declared measles free
This was a disease that caused many health problems in America. After 22 years of vaccinations, the measles are no more in America.
Although this is just a small list of positive things that happened in 2016, there is still a lot more of great things that happened this past year.